Tuesday, September 18, 2012

sketch balls

I just received a text message with this as the text:

Notice of Beacon C.U account suspension.
Please visit www.mybeaconcu.org to solve the problem.

When you go to this site, you see this screen shot:


It's clearly fake. But also realistic looking. Those links at the bottom are dead links.

So I googled this... and lo and behold... Beacon Credit Union put out an alert message on their own website on 09/13/12 warning of this going on. (You can see that alert here.)

The really sneaky part about this is that if you type in that address, but instead use .com instead of .org, you will go to an actual bank website out of Ohio.

I just wish I knew how they got my phone number! For now, I'll have to settle with entering in "you are a horrible person" into their form... (Which then forwarded me to the actual Beacon Credit Union page. So sneaky.)

No comments:

Post a Comment