Thursday, March 10, 2011

overheard in the screening process

It is my turn to return general phone calls for the agency today.

A lady answers the phone saying "Jeremy, pee over here... in the grass!" We start talking about her rental situation. I'm asking her about her power being cut off, and all of a sudden I hear her screaming, "Jeremy! The neighbors!! You can't pee in front of the house!" I'm wondering if she's talking about her dog or a human being, and then she comes back... "I'm sorry, my son..." I change the subject back to housing and away from child urination.

This was my only semi-humorous call today. The others were all sad. They involved me telling homeless adults that they need to make more $ to get into our program. Common responses today: the individuals either yelled at me or started telling me their life stories, one of which involved having a close family member shot in front of the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment